Re: [MacPerl] Shuck bug: 'One moment Please'

Xah Lee <xah@best.com>
>Sometimes the 'One Moment Please' phase of Shuck will stick.

Any trend to particular documents on which it will stick.

> This is confirmed by taking a coffee break.

Hmm. An interesting proof technique that I will keep in mind :-)

>PS Would it be better to rename Shuck to 'Perl On-line Doc Reader'

Nah, this would be:
 - Too boring.
 - Anachronistic (we live in an age of brands, after all).
 - Too limiting (I use pod for other documentation than perl by now).

> Also, the MacPerl FAQ on Neeracher's homepage is really outdated (it's 1996
>version).

The version I saw was dated "February 1997" and nothing except the prediction
that I would finish my thesis in "Spring 1997" :-( looks so horribly out of
date.

> These things drive away absolute beginners.

Have you counted that as a bug or as a feature ?-) Maybe it's a bit better not
to let beginners think they will fall into a perfect, cozy support net as
soon as they download MacPerl.

> It would also be great to include some step-by-step  'beginner readme' file
> in the MacPerl distribution for absolute beginners. Describing what Perl is,
> what Shuck is, how to setup, what's man page and what's pod, what are the
> files and folders, and where to begin. The  readme.mac is really for some
> experienced person.

Agreed in principle, although I won't write these documents. If anybody feels
inspired to revise the didactical concept behind MacPerl, I'm willing to
listen and incorporate their work into the distribution.

Matthias

-----
   "One fine day in my odd past..." -- Pixies, _Planet of Sound_