Re: [MacPerl] network problems

David Neumann writes:

--- begin quoted text

Yes, I am sending this with Eudora, and Netscape works OK. Network access
outside of MacPerl
is OK.
I started to have a problem with Anarchie when I switched to OS8 and
OT/PPP. Anarchie now says
"Anarchie failed to initialize MacTCP". This is version 2.01 of Anarchie.
Should it work with OT/PPP?

The Macperl calls to getprotobyname() and getservbyname() seem to work OK,
but the DNS lookup
seems to fail. Any ideas why PPP in general is OK, but failing in
MacPerl?

--- end quoted text

There's a clue. If you use Peter Lewis' MacTCPWatcher, can you do a DNS
lookup? Are you sure you have the PPP control panel set up properly? I
have two nameserver addresses for clark.net (my primary ISP) loaded into
my Newton: 207.22.70.254, 207.22.81.7. I use MacPerl's networking
(libwww-perl-5, libnet, Net::DNS, Net::Telnet, etc.) with my clark.net PPP
account all the time, and it works well. If you've got something wrong
with your nameserver setup, you may be seeing the effects of the different
amount of time that different programs are willing to wait on DNS before
reporting failure.

-------
Paul J. Schinder
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center