Re: [MacPerl] perl Tk status?

On 12/31/97 Mat Marcus wrote:

>	Some time back I heard some mention of a potential student project
>to port perl/Tk to the Mac. Is anyone currently working on this? I am
>considering whether to undertake the port myself.

This is from a recent info-mac:

Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 09:29:22 -0700
From: jim.ingham@Eng.Sun.COM
Subject: [*] Mac Tcl/Tk 8.0p2

This is the latest release of the Tcl/Tk scripting language for the
Macintosh.  It is a high level scripting language, much like
AppleScript, Perl and Python.  Is provides a powerful cross-platform
scripting & GUI development toolkit.  Here, for instance, is the
canonical "Hello World" program written in Tcl/Tk:

button .b1 -text "Hello World" -command exit
pack .b1

The language is fully extensible from C, so that you can implement your
own commands with ease.  And it is also embeddable, so you can use it as
a control language for your applications.

The 8.0 version adds a new compiler, which improves execution by as much
as 10x over the Tk4.2.  The Macintosh release also has resource editing
commands, an extension to run AppleScripts from within Tcl/Tk, and a full
Macintosh Native Look-and-Feel.   It supersedes the Tk4.2 version.

For more information, see our website:

http://sunscript.sun.com/

Jim.

[Archived as /info-mac/dev/tcl-tk-80p2.hqx; 3316K]