Re: [MacPerl] All these new updates to MacPerl...

At 12.16 98.01.11, George Michel wrote:
>On Sun, 11 Jan 1998, Chris Nandor wrote:
>
>> At 06.48 98.01.11, Amitava Basu wrote:
>> >I tried to run the first script from Learning MacPerl which goes
>> >like this.  I compiled the script under MacPerl 5.1or2. This has
>> >been drawan from"Learning Perl" by Randal Schwartz and Tom
>> >Christiansen.  When I run the script it shows nothing other
>> >than the "syntax" ok.  Do I need to have a news version?
>> >
>> >#!/usr/bin/perl -w
>> >print "What is your name?";
>> >$naem = <STDIN>;
>> >chomp ($naem);
>> >if ($name eq "Randal") {
>> >print "Hello,Randal!  How good of you to be here!\n";
>> >}  else {
>> >print "Hello, $name!\n";
>> >}
>>

>> Well, aside from your problem of $name vs. $name, this works fine under the
>> current version of MacPerl (5.1.8r4).  And while older versions of MacPerl
>> are largely unsupported, your code above should work fine under older
>> versions of MacPerl.  That said, it sounds like instead of running the
>> script you are checking its syntax.
>>

>If I run this from MPW, having named it Filename and corrected $name, I
>get:
>
>perl Filename
>What is your name? gjm
>Hello, What is your name? gjm!
>
>So STDIN gives the whole line?  Is this standard or do I need to
>change my setup?

I am no expert in MPW, but this is purely an MPW phenomenon that I have not
seen in the MacPerl app or any Unix shell I am familiar with.

--
Chris Nandor               pudge@pobox.com           http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey=('B76E72AD',[1024,'0824 090B CE73 CA10  1FF7 7F13 8180 B6B6'])