Re: [MacPerl] DB_File broken

Georg_Bauer@muensterland.org
>> I know that NDBM file is just a layer on top of DB_FIle, so something
>must
>> be wrong about your report,
>
>And if NDBM is only a wrapper for DB: why are there two extensions in
>MacPPC:auto?

Because the two have separate Perl wrappers, but still go to the same code
underneath.

>> I also know that 5.1.6 fixed a bug in DB/NDBM.
>
>Hmm. I only use 5.1.5, not the newer versions, because there were too
>much problem reports (and version changes ;-) ).

I plead guilty to the rapid version changes (because I wanted to get a version
CD-ready). However, if you look at the revision notes, you'll see that
5.1.5 -> 5.1.6 fixed a lot, and the later releases were minor changes.

In the concrete case, you're excused because I forgot to document the
ndbm fix in the release notes, but in general, I would prefer if people
updated to the latest version before reporting bugs (or at least included their
version number in the report).

The fix affected dbm files created on volumes whose logical block size is not
a power of two. It will work compatibly for old files, but to take advantage of
the bug fix, you should copy the data into a freshly created file.

Matthias

-----
   "One fine day in my odd past..." -- Pixies, _Planet of Sound_