[MacPerl] quick newbie questions

To all in the mailing list:

I've just started programming in MacPerl, have noticed a couple of
peculiarities, and wonder if there's an easy way around them. First, I'm
using the line:
 sysopen (LOG, "title.html" O_CREAT);

 (where LOG is the filehandle) to produce a new file which will become an
html template. Everything goes normally, except that the file does not
appear in the Finder until it has been accessed by an application (which
goes perfectly smoothly). Is there any way around this using sysopen? (I'm
guessing that there's no type/creator information produced with the file, so
I guess I'm wondering how to get that in there, so it pops right up to the
Finder.)
Second, I notice that the input from an HTML form that I send to this newly
created file fails to recognize characters such as commas, apostrophes,
question marks, etc., and instead writes the ASCII notation for the
character to the file, so when I open the file with SimpleText, or
Navigator, or what have you, I get, for those instances, %2C, %27, or %3F. I
have a substitution subroutine set up to replace the ASCII notations, but
I'm wondering if there's a more efficient way, and why it's making this leap
at all.

Thanks in advance,
Shaun Coon