Re: [MacPerl] Why does MacPerl 5.18r4 install SysErrs.err?

Taylor Leaming <Taylor_Leaming-RZLA60@email.sps.mot.com>
>I tend to keep a well-organized System Folder, such that I notice when some-
>thing has changed or been added.

Commendable.

>So, when I installed MacPerl 5.18r4 this evening, I noticed that the MacPerl
>v5.18r4 Installer also installed a file called "SysErrs.err", which from Get
>Info, appears to be v3.3.3, dated November 8, 1994.  I also found a file
>called "/etc/services" in my Preferences Folder, dated July 30, 1993.
>I'm reasonably certain that these files were installed by the MacPerl 5.18r4
>installer.

Yes, you're right, and these sould be the only files installed by the MacPerl
installer into the system folder (Internet Config installs an extension the
first time you run it).

>What are these,

SysErrs.err contains the cleartext messages for the error codes in $^E.
/etc/services contains service-to-port mappings for getservbynumber and
getservbyname.

> why are they installed, why should I keep them in my System
>Folder,

Because that's where the code goes looking for them.

>and what happens if they are deleted?

You'll lose cleartext translations for $^E and you'll lose some of the port
mappings and the abilities to redefine them.

Matthias

-----
   "One fine day in my odd past..." -- Pixies, _Planet of Sound_