Re: [MacPerl] downloading .pl scripts? [was:Help!!!!!!]

Kathy,
"kATHY bROOKS" <HICKSB1@thunder.indstate.edu> apparently keystroked:
>Hi I am new to this list,but I am having a small problem.  When you ftp
>your file to your directory how can you get the .pl extension.  I upload in
>text format.  My administrator did something and changed the txt to pl.  I
>tried renaming it and it just added pl to txt.
>For example Hello.pl.txt.  The one he did works fine but mine will not run.
> Also is their any program on either platform that will let you upload in
>perl.  I have a mac and a PC.
1.  You might restate the problem better identifying (a) what you want to
    accomplish, and (b) exactly what commands you did in what order.
2.  It helps everybody to have a more descriptive subject line than "Help!...",
    we all need help at one point or another, but having the subject line
    concisely identify the problem area helps us all.
3.  MACPerl doesn't care what the extension is.  Run the script from the
    menu ( clover-R) or open the script with MACPerl and then run it
    ( shift-clover-R ).  When MACPERL saves an edited script, the MAC filing
    system has some internal keywords to identify it as a MACPerl-launching
file
    (or possibly and editor-launching file if your MACPerl is setup to use
    a different editor).
4.  PC's are undoubtably different and not a subject
    for this mailing list.
5.  There are various libraries to simplify TCP/IP, or HTTP access using PERL.
    They take some investigation to use.
    Some MAC archives and install programs can restore all associated file info,
    rather than just doing an ASCII ftp transfer of a text file.  There are
    also utilities which change the associated file information.
6.  It would also be nice if you could 'sign' your email, and not just rely
    on the "From:" information.
Sorry this response is so general ... after you better specify your problem,
others might contribute more specific suggestions.

--
Regards, Larry F. Allen-Tonar        (larryat@cts.com) +1 760/746-6464 (voice)
         Principal Software/Firmware Engineer          +1 860/746-0766 (FAX,