Re: [MacPerl] Command (backtick) operators in MPW Perl

At 7:01 PM -0500 on 1/29/98, Chris Nandor supposedly said:
>At 18.02 98.01.29, David C. Schooley wrote:
>>>

>>It works when you use the MacPerl application, but not MPW perl. I was hoping
>>MPW perl could run other MPW things as sub-processes, but apparently that
>>won't
>>work.
>
>print `date -n`;  #works in MacPerl app
>perl -e 'print `date -n`'  #works in perl MPW tool

Problem solved...  Like MacPerl, MPW perl launches ToolServer to handle backticked commands. (I wasn't aware of this.) For some reason, my copy of ToolServer wasn't launching, so the `command` was failing. I rearranged my ToolServer installation prior to playing with MacPerl, and that seems to have fixed the problem because it is working now.

Now to see what happens when you execute the original perl script in ToolServer...

later,

---Dave---

David C. Schooley              | "Success is how high you
Ph.D. in progress              |  bounce after you hit
Georgia Tech Electric Power    |  bottom.
mailto:schooley@ece.gatech.edu |   - General George S. Patton
http://www.ee.gatech.edu/users/schooley/