Re: [MacPerl] Limits in MacPerl?

At 08:56 -0800 on 1/30/98, Elton Hughes wrote:

> Background: The small non-profit agency I work for has been mailing
> surveys to our clients. The results have been stored in a Filemaker Pro
> database. There are 18 questions and 18 demographic categories on the
> survey. My job is to write a report that will come up with the average
> response, per question, by each of the 18 demographic categories. The
> result should look like a grid with the questions running along the
> x-axis and the categories running along the y-axis. The questions can
> have 3 or four possible answers.

Well, it doesn't *sound* like all that much storage.  If you're using
coded responses and an array (e.g., $m[$q][$c] = $r), the total storage
should be about 2592 (18 * 18 * 8) bytes.

You might try increasing the size of MacPerl (via GetInfo).  In any case,
however, you shouldn't be crashing.  You might want to trim your example
down to the simplest possible form that produces the problem and send it
to the list do folks can try it out...

-r

Rich Morin, Canta Forda Computer Laboratory | Prime Time Freeware - quality
  UNIX consulting, training, and writing    | freeware at affordable prices
  P.O. Box 1488, Pacifica, CA, 94044, USA   | www.ptf.com      info@ptf.com
  rdm@cfcl.com            +1 650-873-7841   | +1 408-433-9662   -0727 (Fax)