Re: [MacPerl] RDBMS Access via Perl Modules

At 17.17 98.01.30, Michael Myers wrote:
>I have read about the perl modules that permit access to relational database
>systems. I am specifically interested in what can be done with MacPerl and
>Oracle hosted on SGI.
>
>* Does the db module work on the Mac?

There are lots of db modules.  DBI, the one most popular for RDBMS access,
does not currently work under MacPerl.

>* For Oracle, does it work through SQL*Net? (as all Oracle connections appear
>to)

DBI works by loading in a specific DBD (database driver).  So not only
would DBI have to be ported, but DBD would have to be ported as well, which
would also mean that the Oracle client libraries, including SQL*Net, would
have to be available.  Now, since these ARE available for Mac OS, then it
is possible (I believe) to port DBI and DBD::Oracle to MacPerl, but it has
not been done.

>* Does it require an ODBC Driver?
>
>That last question is the sticky point. I have been searching in vain for a
>power pc native ODBC driver for Oracle. Intersolv has repeatedly told me that
>they had a new driver in beta testing. Still haven't seen it.

I really doubt it.  I don't think DBD::Oracle necessarily uses ODBC, so I
don't see any reason why it would have to on MacPerl.

--
Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey=('B76E72AD',[1024,'0824 090B CE73 CA10  1FF7 7F13 8180 B6B6'])