[MacPerl] A doubt of a beginner

I'm little stopped in my perl scripting from a strange thing was happened

Coming from an html form i would interpolate a value of this form with a value contained into the script who receive the form's data.

the steps :

i read a text file containing some fruit names and a $fruit
($fruit is a text into the textfile)

es : apple $fruit orange

then i need to print out this data so i put it into a variable

$string="apple,$fruit,orange";

assigning value : "strawberry" to $fruit
$fruit="strawberry";

if i do
print $string
the output (!) is apple $fruit orange....
Why was not happen the interpolation , i want my strawberry!!!-)

The instructions are simples , and i really have some problems to exit the panic of the moment
HELP!!
Thanks
Daniele Nencini
ddd@dada.it