Re: [MacPerl] Converting From Unix to Mac

|Still, though, maybe a module could be put together that could be run on
|all versions of Perl (Homogenous.pm?) and would give the programmer a
|standard set of methods for hiding the OS.

Actually, perl does a pretty good job of hiding the OS. Opening a file
on Unix is quite a bit different than opening one on the Mac (and I
suspect quite a bit different than on NT or MS-DOS), yet in perl you
just do an open. The bits where the OS shows through are there because
there's no one "right way" to hide them.

|On a simpler concept, I am working on hiding path problems by using a
|variable for the path deliminator, and setting the variable based upon
|environment variables.

For a general purpose module, this would be necessary but not
sufficient. For example, a////b on Unix is very different from a::::b
on a Mac. And what does a path of / mean on a Mac? And I'd expect
a Homogeneous.pm to "do the right thing" with paths like /dev/tty or
/tmp/xxx.

Brian