Re: [MacPerl] MAC Filesystem Help

At 12.45 1998.02.09, Mark Manning/Muniz Eng. wrote:
>Well, as I've said in the past and will probably say in the
>future:
>
>The reason people do these things is because they are
>mainly learning how to do it in the first place.  And just
>as in teaching - you can't teach someone to use calculus
>until they know how to do the basics.  Thus, telling
>someone to stop re-inventing the wheel is the same thing as
>telling them not to learn.

No.  If they want to learn, they can look at the implementations of the
existing modules.

>Ok - I know Paul and Chris and whoever else wants to say
>"don't re-invent the wheel" are only trying to look out for
>everyone's best interests.  They've been there, done that,
>went through the time, pain, whatever it took to reach
>where they are.  Myself included.  But believe me when I
>say that EVERYONE has to go through the same kinds of steps
>in order to reach the understanding necessary to even use
>the modules correctly.

Not at all!  I used File::Find long before I understood exactly how it
worked.  Further, if you want to reinvent the wheel, fine; but this list is
not, IMO, the place to do it, especially since at that point it is usually
not MacPerl-specific.  But if someone opens up File::Find and sees
something MacPerl-specific and has a question about that part, then that
would be a good post for this list.

Sometimes people like me are not overtly polite.  If I have been too blunt
to anyone, I apologize.  I don't always have the time to make the effort,
or to write posts this lengthy.

>Anyway, just my $0.02 worth on this subject.  And as I've
>said in the past - I will continue to code without the help
>of the modules because I like to know the WHY behind how
>the modules work.

Well, I will never tell anyone to code that way.  Perl is an exercise in
impatience and laziness.  I have a C friend who used to feel the same way.
I finally convinced him that if he wants to spend the time to understand
how it all works, he is welcome to do so, and I am sure he will learn a
thing or two.  You take the high road, I'll take the low road, and I'll be
in Scotland before ye.

If you wanna do it, go ahead.  But that is not something for this list, IMO.

--
Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey=('B76E72AD',[1024,'0824 090B CE73 CA10  1FF7 7F13 8180 B6B6'])