Re: [MacPerl] When is \r really \n in MacPerl!?

mac-perl@iis.ee.ethz.ch
Subj:	Re: [MacPerl] When is \r really \n in MacPerl!?

Chris Nandor wrote:

>                                                             It is not
>difficult; even the Unix perl folks on IRC that have discussed this have
>conceded that \r\n is wrong, that if the code is expected to work on all
>platforms you must use \015\012.

OK then the folks on IRC are wrong: while \015 works OK under most EBCDIC
code pages (it yields the character known as "return"), if you want a linefeed
character on most English/American based EBCDIC codepages (including IBM-1047
[OS/390 OE] and CCSID-00819 [OS/400]) then try \025 rather than \012 which
is unique to ASCII.  I mention this here because Lincoln Stein is in the
process of updating his popular CGI.pm module to accomodate EBCDIC
web-servers and we took especial care not to break the Mac dependent
portion either (but folks might want to double check :-).

Peter Prymmer