Re: [MacPerl] Web* and CGI output

On 2/17/98 Josh Gemmell wrote:

>	Anyways, the question is this: what is it about WebSTAR that makes it
>different from all other servers when it comes to CGI output? The normal
>method
>for a response printed by a CGI is to start with the header: "Content-type:
>text/html\r\n\r\n" so that the server and browser know what's coming. As well,
>the CGI could very well fake something else, like a 302 FOUND, along with a
>Location: to redirect the browser elsewhere.

Did you include an HTTP 1.0 / 200 Ok line BEFORE the content type?

The fact that your pages work without the HTTP headers is a function of the
browser you are using, not the server. I found out the hard way that it
works with Netscape but not with NetHopper on the Newton. NetHopper just
times out waiting for the header if it's not there. Netscape acts as if
it's using HTTP 0.9, back when there were no headers!! Hope this helps... RR