[MacPerl] MacPerl, FAQs, promotion, etc...

On Tue, Apr 21, 1998 at 11:51:18AM -0700, Xah Lee wrote:
} background. (and btw, Unix folks in general have !!
} a sense of granduer. Very few realize it's a system that's severely
} brain-damaged. (^_^) )

I don't! (do I? maybe just a little :-)  And besides, it isn't; Unix is
wonderful. Really. However.

I tell everyone that the Mac is my second favorite OS (let's take it for
given at the moment that it is in fact an OS :-) and my favorite Interface.
Lately, I prefer to write my perl code in BBEdit, check the syntax in
MacPerl (with Brad's extensions, of course :-) and then push it to the Unix
machine.

My desktop box at work is a Mac G3 running 8.1 and telnet to all the Unix
servers; people thought I was nuts to trade the monitor on my Sun
Sparcstation for a second Mac monitor. My home systems are a Mac 7100
w/OS8.1 and a Quadra 700 (running A/UX :-)

At 12:18 -0700 98/04/21, Paul J. Schinder wrote:
>That's life.  Perl began in Unix and it shows, and some knowledge of
>Unix makes it much easier to use MacPerl, especially when trying to
>use CPAN modules.  (For example, Net::DNS runs out of the box under
>MacPerl, provided you know what an /etc/resolv.conf file contains.)
>Somehow most of us have managed, so why can't others?  The book will
>make it easier (and allow the rest of us to say RTFB :-)).

We sincerely hope that we've made the book more accessible to those who
don't come from a Unix background as well as to those without a lot of prior
programming experience in C, Pascal, Fortran, awk.  (The Camel and Llama
books make all sorts of references to C; we tried very hard to avoid doing
this.)

It's up to folks like Xah Lee to tell us if we've succeeded and up to all
of us to evangelize MacPerl. (One of the nice things about the MacPerl
Pages, not to mention putting up the book in html, is that we increase the
number of hits brought back for "MacPerl").  If the book is a success and
people want more, we've been giving serious thought to a follow-on volume
with more in-depth coverage of certain areas, and more Mac-specific
tutorials, e.g. deeper coverage of Toolbox and AppleEvents, tutorials on
using BBEdit (and Alpha?), more Mac examples, and information on these
useful hints (such as the format of an /etc/resolv.conf file).

We'll need your input to make it work.

- Vicki

      |\      _,,,---,,_    Vicki Brown - vlb@cfcl.com
ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_  http://www.cfcl.com/~vlb
     |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-' P.O. Box 1269  San Bruno  CA  94066
    '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)  Ooit'n Normaal Mens Ontmoet? En... Beviel't?
                      Ever met a normal person? So... did you like it?