Re: [MacPerl] Newbie needs help

g.pitcher@napier.ac.uk writes:
>I'm trying to teach myself MacPerl. I've done some work with Frontier and foun
>it very good. I'm probably making a big mistake in thinking along Frontier
>lines.

Not necessarily. Frontier is a fine program if it does what you want to do.

>1.  Is there a Perl way of saying "readline" which would read the next line fr
om
>a textfile into a string? The Frontier equiv is: variable =
>string(file.readline(file).

$variable = <FILE>;

>2.  Similar to above is there an equivalent to file.writeline(file) which writ
es
>the line to a file?

print FILE "texttexttext\n";

>3.  I've got a book on Cross-Platform Perl and I've also been looking at the
>MacPerl book at PTF.com. I can't seem to find an operator which I can recognis
>which would be equivalent to Frontier's 'contains'. Any suggestions?

For naive substrib tests, "substr" will do the job, but of course Perl can do
much, much more in this area, with the "m" operator.

Matthias

 "Neeracher can and no doubt will perform the usual cheerleader duties."
              -- ataylor@nmsu.edu in <ATAYLOR.92Dec8135851@gauss.nmsu.edu>