[MacPerl] Newbie needs help

Hi all,

I'm trying to teach myself MacPerl. I've done some work with Frontier and found
it very good. I'm probably making a big mistake in thinking along Frontier
lines.

Three things I want to do initially. If successful, I'll play around with these
a bit then come back for more.

1.  Is there a Perl way of saying "readline" which would read the next line from
a textfile into a string? The Frontier equiv is: variable =
string(file.readline(file).

2.  Similar to above is there an equivalent to file.writeline(file) which writes
the line to a file?

3.  I've got a book on Cross-Platform Perl and I've also been looking at the
MacPerl book at PTF.com. I can't seem to find an operator which I can recognise
which would be equivalent to Frontier's 'contains'. Any suggestions?

That's about all for now. I'll only be able to dabble with MacPerl just now.
What I really need is a complete list of 'verbs' (in Frontier parlance) so that
I can build my scripts more easily. I'm also desperate for MacPerl connectivity
with FileMaker. Frontier has it off to a tee but Perl may be faster.

TIA

George Pitcher
Technical Manager
SCOPE Project