Re: [MacPerl] Toolbox help

Paul J. Schinder (schinder@pobox.com) wrote:

>Almost no control panel is scriptable.  What you need is the "Jon's
>Commands" OSAX, the one that everyone should have:
><http://www.seanet.com/%7Ejonpugh/>.  That will allow you to change monitor
>resolution and depth with AppleScript.

Another option I have found highly useful is PreFab Player, which lets
a program navigate through an app's user interface as a human might--
clicking here, typing there, etc.  The resulting code is AppleScript
(I believe Frontier is also supported, though I've not used that),
which can easily be parameterized and fired off from MacPerl.

It's by no means a perfect way to go.  You're dealing with multiple
scripting environments, and even with PreFab some programs just are
not meant to be mechanically navigated.  But it has been invaluable,
allowing me to do some intricate scripting of the Chooser, FrameMaker,
Acrobat Exchange, print dialog boxes, and other programs that I really
could not do in any other way.

See www.prefab.com if you're interested.

jse