Re: [MacPerl] MacPerl and [A]CGI startup time

Mark or Kris Manning wrote:

>If you are going to put all of the server into MacPerl and then put all
>of your programs into MacPerl but you are still using a server (ie:
>Netpresenz, then why don't you just write a main program with options
>which call the other routines and then just always call that one
>program?

I'm not using Netpresenz to serve the master webserver Perl script. There
is (reportedly) a bug that prevents the webserver script from serving
multiple files in quick succession, so I have set up a second server
running Netpresenz devoted to serving the other files (GIF's mainly).

Chris Nandor wrote:

>Anyways, I rewrote my CGI with IO::Socket to do basically a similar thing.

I don't quite understand the gist of this suggestion. Are you suggesting
taking the existing Perl CGI script and rigging it to be persistent (thus
avoiding compile time) and having it bypass the CGI envelope by using
IO::Socket to listen directly to the port (thus avoiding .cgi vs. .acgi
style crashes)?  Seems like a good idea, in that you could have this script
co-exist (I think!) with another web server on the same Mac and not be
exposed to the dropping-requests bug. On the bad side, I'd have to spend a
while thinking/learning about IO::Socket to make sure I didn't miss any
requests, etc and expose myself to the same dropped-request bug as MacPerl
Webserver!

Eric