Re: [MacPerl] Sending AppleEvents to Frontier

At 8:39 -0500 5/5/98, Chris Nandor wrote:
>At 08.21 1998.05.04, Emmanuel. M. Decarie wrote:

>>BTW, I didn't find a way to send a string inside the Frontier verb as <Do
>>Script "dialog.notify(\"Hello from Frontier\")">. I tried to escape it with
>>backlash with no avail.
>
>Not sure how to do that.   It might be that Frontier doesn't play nice with
>MacPerl the way it does with AppleScript in that regard.  I dunno.

To make this fort of thing easier, Frontier accepts (and (has since first
release)), typographic quotes (option-[ and option-shift-[ on US
(non-Dvorak) keyboards) as the beginning and ending delimiters on strings.
It was done to allow " to appear IN strings...escaping with \ was added
about Frontier 2.

While the usage is deprecated in Frontier 5 on Mac (because typographic
quotes are more difficult to type in Windows, and likely have different
character codes), it's still there.

You should be able to slip the "curly" quotes around the Hello from
Frontier part of your code...they won't bother MacPerl.

   --John
--
John Baxter   jwblist@olympus.net      Port Ludlow, WA, USA
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.  Teach him to fish,