Re: [MacPerl] AE Catcher?

At 01:09 -0700 5/13/98, Jeff at MacTech wrote:

>Is there a pdf version of the book on the CD?

Not at present

> (I ask this assuming that you can't get the CD without the book.)

Actually, the disc is available by itself, but it's $20 and the book/
disc/update card is only $40...

> [the PDF version] would be nice to have for a number of reasons,
>including the ability to search (and print out a chapter to write on).

<Hand-wave>
  You can do simple searches and print single pages, using your web
  browser on the HTML version.
</Hand-wave>

Actually, we're planning to revisit the online version after WWDC.
I'm going to see, for instance, if Office 98 (no flames :-) does a
cleaner job of creating HTML.  I may also generate a set of PDF pages,
but I don't think they will have any links or other niceties. PDF does
have the disadvantage of being somewhat less easy to read onscreen...

All of this begs the question, of course, of whether it is in our
best interest to make the PDF freely available, package up the HTML
for easy downloading, etc.  Vicki, Chris, and I continue to debate
this; input is always useful...

-r

Rich Morin, Canta Forda Computer Laboratory | Prime Time Freeware - quality
  UNIX consulting, training, and writing    | freeware at affordable prices
  P.O. Box 1488, Pacifica, CA, 94044, USA   | www.ptf.com      info@ptf.com
  rdm@cfcl.com            +1 650-873-7841   | +1 408-433-9662   -0727 (Fax)