Re: [MacPerl] Mac OS X / Carbon

>Alright, I am at WWDC and am going to test MacPerl with Carbon today.
>Carbon is a subset of the Mac OS API that will be included in Mac OS X in
>Q3 1999.  Mac OS X will be Rhapsody with these extra APIs, basically.  It
>will allow current Mac apps to run in the yellow box without a total
>rewrite.  So MacPerl can get the advantages of memory protection, virtual
>memory, multitasking, etc., by fixing the toolbox calls.
>
>More details at <http://developer.apple.com/macosx/>.  When I get results
>from the lab today, I'll pass them along for those curious.

Interesting note: the Carbon analyzer was written entirely in MacPerl by
Matt Morse.  It's pretty cool.  Uses the Mac::Apps::PBar module and
everything.  I understand the analyzer (a runtime app) will be available
for download and use from an Apple site eventually.

Anyway, MacPerl was about 85 percent supported, with about 5 percent using
modified calls, another 5 percent using questionable calls (not suggested
or under review), and another 5 being unsupported calls.  Actually, I think
it was closer to 6 percent unsupported.  I have the reports in HTML with a
nice GD-created graph, and Rich and Vicki are going to send it along to
Matthias, I believe.

Interesting stuff.  MacPerl running under Carbon would be very cool, IMO,
despite the existence of perl under Rhapsody as a BSD tool.

Well, off to dinner soon.

--Chris, at WWDC