Re: [MacPerl] Mac OS X / Carbon

Chris Nandor <pudge@pobox.com> writes:
>>Alright, I am at WWDC and am going to test MacPerl with Carbon today.
>>Carbon is a subset of the Mac OS API that will be included in Mac OS X in
>>Q3 1999.

... or that's what Apple says is this week's OS strategy, anyway :-)

>>More details at <http://developer.apple.com/macosx/>.  When I get results
>>from the lab today, I'll pass them along for those curious.
>
>Interesting note: the Carbon analyzer was written entirely in MacPerl by
>Matt Morse.

Cool! However, from looking at the output, it appears that the analyzer does
some Code Fragment Manager Magick that is not yet supported as a Perl module,
so I suppose it's more like 95% MacPerl :-) (Maybe Matt is willing to
comment?).

>Anyway, MacPerl was about 85 percent supported, with about 5 percent using
>modified calls, another 5 percent using questionable calls (not suggested
>or under review), and another 5 being unsupported calls.

I just looked at the report. Beautifully done (except for a little buglet in
the InitDialogs description) and very informative. It looks as if I could port
MacPerl to Carbon in about a week or so.

The best news for me is that most of the MacPerl Toolbox APIs will continue to
work.

Matthias

-----
   "These days, though, you have to be pretty technical before you can
    even aspire to crudeness." -- William Gibson, _Johnny Mnemonic_