Re: [MacPerl] Net FTP

On Tue, May 19, 1998 at 10:07:48AM -0400, Ken Flaton wrote:
} First, I'm a relative Perl newbie.  Second, being a relative Perl newbie, I am
} nonetheless able to create some pretty cool applications with MacPerl.  THAT,
} is very cool.  My hat's off to the creator(s) of MacPerl.
}
} Okay, fine.  A question.  A problem.  With the Net FTP functions. I've written
} a script that uploads files (and folders) from my mac to a mirror (of sorts)
} at my web site.  It seems that about 30% of the time, however, the ftp->put
} function doesn't manage to get the entire file across but generates no error.

Yes, it happens.  I have never been able to track down the cause.
It's probably not Open Transport, since Fetch and Anarchie usually
work to those servers.  It seems to happen more often with Solaris
servers than any other kind.  It may be a problem with GUSI, but I
don't then know why it doesn't affect other scripts, which it doesn't
seem to.  It's not the Perl itself, since the same Perl on other
platforms works flawlessly.  (I've transferred literally hundreds of
megabytes from my Suns to my Mac using Net::FTP.)

} The result is a really cool application (see preceding paragraph), but
} functionally unreliable.

The workaround is to use ->size to ask the size of the file on the
remote.  If it doesn't match the local size, assume something went
wrong.  But not all servers support the underlying FTP command that
size uses.

}
} Does anybody have any experience with the Net library, ftp in particular, or
} has anybody experienced this problem?
}
} TIA,
}