[MacPerl] Switching UNIX perl to mac perl

I am working on switching a set of UNIX perl script to MacPerl and I am
having problems with a single line that appears numerous times in the
script.

The segement of code that I am having trouble with is this:
if ($query->param ('inqcontactname')){
	$val = $query->param ('inqcontactname');
	$val =~ s/.\n+/ /g;
	print (MAILFILE "Customer:
$val\n\n");
	}else{
		print (MAILFILE "Customer:			NA\n\n");
	}

When I do a syntax check on it, I get the error
# Can't modify array deref in substitution, near "s/.\n+/ /g;"

I am confused on exactly what this line does with the substitution and why
mac is having trouble understanding it.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.  Thanks

-Kiera Elfstrom