Re: [MacPerl] Curious behaviour in Text::Tabs

On Fri, 22 May 1998 11:50:38 -0600, Taylor Leaming wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>I've been working on some scripts where I need to faithly replace <tab>'s
with
><space>'s and vice-versa in files that are being processed.
>
>Is it just me, or is there something a bit wrong with the Text::Tabs
module?

No answers, just a few suggestions.

1) Have you checked CPAN for a more recent version of Text::Tabs?

2) If at all possible, read the man page for the Unix expand(1) command,
and try your test case with expand on a Unix box. If it comes out the same
as Text::Tabs, it's unlikely that 3) will work.

3) Put together your test case in a convenient package (a .tar.gz will
probably be best) and contact the author. It will work even better if you
first fix Text::Tabs (you have the source) to work the way you think it
should and provide the author with a suggested patch.

>Does anybody out there have a version of Text::Tabs that works
correctly?

The author probably does, but he might have a different definition of
"works correctly".

>  |  Taylor Leaming                           phone: (512) 895-6211  |
>  |  Imaging Systems Division       pager: (800)SKYTEL2 PIN#1385224  |
>  |  Consumer Systems Group     <http://isd.sps.mot.com/~leamingt/>  |
>  |  Motorola SPS               <mailto:leamingt@tobor.sps.mot.com>  |

-------
Paul J. Schinder