Re: [MacPerl] MacPerl and BinHex

1. I've had the problem with files downloaded with version 3 of both
   Netscape and Internet Explorer, although Netscape Communicator 4.05
   has been kinder to me.  Usually I've gotten the files successfully
   with Fetch.  I have intended to make a binary compare program in
   Perl to examine the failed downloads in detail, but have lacked any
   round toit.

2. Without proof, I've still concluded the problem was with the data
   and not with BinHex decoders.

3. Fetch and other FTP (only) utilities seem to work reliably.

Can anybody point me to existing Perl code to highlight small differences
in binary files?  I'm also interested in examining system files and even
applications that have appeared to suffer bit rot on disk.  My theory is
that with a lot of cases, some patterns of damage will emerge and cause
us to become enlightened about the nature of the problems.

Dick