Re: [MacPerl] sys{open,close,read} and non-sys cousins

Matthias Ulrich Neeracher wrote:

> There isn't.

<snip>

Some time back in one of my rare posts to the Perl Usenet group I asked
about why SYSOPEN had been created.  The answer back (and I forget who
responded) was that there were problems with the OPEN statement and the
SYSxxxx commands.  They were not specific about just what those problems
were - but I assume it must be difference between a buffered input and a
non-buffered input.  I also must assume that they were attempting to
separate the two sets so people wouldn't (as you said) intermix the two.

The reason I like the SYS-commands over the others is (I guess) it is
more C like and I'm used to working with binary files in C.