Re: [MacPerl] sys{open,close,read} and non-sys cousins

Mark Manning/Simulacron I <markem@flash.net> writes:
>Some time back in one of my rare posts to the Perl Usenet group I asked
>about why SYSOPEN had been created.  The answer back (and I forget who
>responded) was that there were problems with the OPEN statement and the
>SYSxxxx commands.

Whoever gave you that answer was mistaken. There are no such problems.

Tha major advantage of sysopen() over open() from a MacPerl point of view is
that sysopen() will not trim leading or trailing whitespace from the file name,
so in general, sysopen() would be preferable for truly robust filename
handling.

Matthias

   "I'm set free to find a new illusion" -- Velvet Underground