[MacPerl] SYSOPEN

Since we have (sort of) gotten into talking about SYSOPEN, I noticed a
problem with SYSOPEN that I thought I'd ask of the group.

It used to be when I did:

	sysopen( THEFILE, "$theFile", O_RDWR | O_CREAT ) || die $!;

and the file wasn't there it would create it.  But now I get an error
message saying the file isn't there.  Has something changed within
SYSOPEN?  The OPEN command will still correctly create the file if I put
the ">" in front of the file name.  But I can't get SYSOPEN to create a
new file.

Ideas?  Reasons?  Anything?  :-)