Re: [MacPerl] File reading ?'s

No.  READ will read binary files.  It's just that SYSREAD was made (more
or less) to read binary files and it's simple to use.

I, myself, do use the OPEN, READ, etc... for text files and the
sys-commands for binary files - but I do not think that they are
restricted in that manner.  It is more a question of which C routines
you want to use.  The READ command uses the FREAD from C while the
SYSREAD command uses the READ command from C.  If that makes sense.
(And that is what I was told a while back so it may no longer be true.)

On the usage of OPEN with SYSREAD.  You didn't read/remember my entire
message.  I said:

	SYSOPEN
	SYSREAD
	SYSWRITE
	CLOSE

(And why the CLOSE statement works with the rest of that stuff I have no
idea.  I would have thought there would have been a SYSCLOSE.)

Look up each of them.  There is an example in Shuck on how to use them.
(Or there used to be.)  If not, let me know and I will send you an
example.