Re: [MacPerl] deleting the desktop database?

In article <mac-perl.v04003a2cb1a6fb5a22d7@[24.48.28.174]>, Chris Nandor
<pudge@pobox.com> wrote:

>At 09.13 -0500 1998.06.12, Paul J. Schinder wrote:
>>} for a script that is in shutdown folder, i want to destroy the
>>} desktop-database (the 2 files "Desktop DB" and "Desktop DF" )
>>} in order to reconstruct them at every boot.
>
>I think to delete the database files, they need to be quit the Finder
>first.  Mac::Apps::Launch should do the trick.  Quit the app id MACS,
>then delete the file, then quit all other open apps to restore the
>Finder.
>
>Could be dangerous, so be careful.

I seem to have a vague recollection that you have to also make sure that
AppleTalk is inactive before you can safely quit the Finder. (Or it may
have been OpenTransport....)

Anyway, also be advised that you will nuke any "Get Info" comments by
doing this. If you rebuild the desktop in the "standard" way, or using a
tool like TechTool, then these get saved and restored.

How come you want to do this? If you really do (it seems that it will take
a bunch of time, each time you reboot...), you might want to see if
TechTool is scriptable, and let it do the job--it also has a nice feature
whereby you can save the desktop files and then restore them if something
goes wrong.

Just my two cents--I hope this helps.