Re: [MacPerl] Perl core modules

At 12.08 -0500 1998.06.15, Vicki Brown wrote:
>perldelta indicates that IO:: became the approved way of doing things in
>5.004. I also have it on the good authority of the IO:: module author that
>the IO modules weren't part of the distributed Perl core till 5.004.

FWIW, not everyone recommends usage of the IO modules.  Some don't like any
of them, and some (like me) don't like the IO::Handle modules for most
uses.  And I wish IO::Socket were not OO.

All this just to say that all these modules do is provide existing
functionality in other ways.

>Well, no, not really.  There is essentially nothing one can do in terms of
>inter-process communication on a Mac that doesn't use AppleEvents.  There
>is plenty one can do in perl without IO:: (especially in MacPerl, where you
>use AppleEvents :-)
[...]
>waiting for Chris to tell me I'm wrong about AppleEvents ... ;-)

Apple Events are just one type of IPC (IAC) on the Mac.  :)  There is also
Program-to-Program Communications (PPC), which Matthias does provide some
access to through Socket.pm, and if I or someone else got into it some,
could be provided through an IO::Socket::PPC or something, too.  You might
consider high-level events like mouse clicks and key clicks as IAC, too.

--
Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey = ('B76E72AD', [1024, '0824090B CE73CA10  1FF77F13 8180B6B6'])