Re: [MacPerl] Perl references (was: File reading ?'s)

On Fri, 12 Jun 1998 11:35:01 -0700, Vicki Brown wrote:

>At 21:10 -0400 98/06/11, Paul J. Schinder wrote:
>[The Camel is]
>> mildly out of date, because Perl has gone through one or two
>> revisions since the second edition of the book was published.  You won't
>> be misled by anything in it, but there is at least one important
omission
>> (no mention of the very important IO::* modules) that I know of.
>
>As is the case with the Mac Toolbox calls ("when you see Inside Macintosh,
>you'll realize there's no way that they can be condensed into a small
>book."), neither could Larry, Tom & Randal fit all of the "useful and
>important" Perl modules into "Programming Perl".

No, the situataions are not the same. First, they document plenty of the
modules that come with Perl core, and IO is now Perl core. Second, as you
can see from perldelta, IO is now *the* recommended OO way of dealing with
filehandle-ish things in Perl. Even FileHandle, which they do documenin
the Camel, is now merely a wrapper around IO::File. I believe the only
reason that IO aren't in the Camel is that they either didn't exist at the
time or weren't put in the core. I'd be really suprised if they weren't
documented in the thrid editino.

It's as if you and Chris wrote The Book without mentioning Apple Events. I
personally have never used one in a MacPerl script, but I'd be amazed to
find them not mentioned in a MacPerl book. On the other hand, it's
entirely reasonable that you don't mention, say, Display PDF (or whatever
it's going to be called) yet.

>If you can afford it (or get your company to buy it; US $149 list), a
great
>resource for the IO:: modules, as well as many other well-used and highly
>recommended Perl modules is the Perl Resource Kit, from O'Reilly & Assoc.
>ISBN 1-56592-370-7.  It's a set of 4 books and a CD-ROM.
>
>Unfortunately, there isn't a Macintosh/MacPerl edition yet, but we have
>hopes, plans, desires in that direction...
>
>Vicki
>---
>Vicki Brown, vlb@cfcl.com        |      _,,,---,,_
>Journeyman Sourceror      ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_
>Scripts & Philtres             |,4-  ) )-,_. , (  `'-'
>http://www.cfcl.com/~vlb      '---''(_/--'  `-'_)
>P.O. Box 1269 San Bruno, CA  94066

-------
Paul J. Schinder