[MacPerl] Too many arguments?

I'm running into a situation where drag-and-drop of file
arguments onto a MacPerl droplet fails silently.  If I
drag and drop 25 files at a time, say, it works.  @ARGV
contains the expected list of file paths.  If I drag 55
at a time, it fails...and I don't mean my program fails,
but that even a simple

   print "hello, world!\n";

fails to print anything.  I assume MacOS has some (apparently
low) number of bytes allocated to holding the list of files,
and I'm exceeding it.  Is there anything I can do about this?
Probably a built-in constant, eh?  I would like to understand
the mechanism, however.