Re: [MacPerl] toolbox gui script crashes MPW Shell

"Thomas R. Kimpton" <tkimpton@maned.com> writes:
>I am a rabid MPW Shell editor fan... I write all my scripts
>and use them from MPW Shell.  I have no problems with other
>scripts, and have even done some other gui scripts. However,
>here is a script that runs under MacPerl, but crashes MPW
>Shell.

Hmm, I guess I'll have to add a disclaimer to the docs that running GUI scripts
with the MPW tool voids your warranty :-)

I might eventually take a closer look at the script you've included, but in
general, as soon as event management is involved, all bets are off. In
particular, the MPW tool offers no meaningful support for Mac::Events.
AppleEvents are sort of supported.

>I loaded the MacPerl tool over the top of the MacPerl
>application folder... is this a BAD thing?

No, that's the way it's supposed to be installed.

>Also, I'd like to simply build the dialog in ResEdit and
>load it with the appropriate 'new MacDialog' call. Is the
>resource fork of the script opened, and "frontmost" so that
>I can put the dlog in the script, and don't have to worry
>about resource ID conflicts?

No, as far as I recall, you have to open the resource fork
explicitly.

Matthias

   "I'm set free to find a new illusion" -- Velvet Underground