Re: [MacPerl] Writing Stuffit archives with Perl

Paul J. Schinder writes:
|} I wrote:
|} [...] And of course there's always tar format, which there is a perl
|} module available to read/write and which SD will read/write as well.
|You can at the moment read tar, but not write it.  (To be more exact,
|you cannot use Archive::Tar under MacPerl to write archives that can
|be read with tar(1) on a Unix box, because of the different path
|conventions).

This may not be a problem for the original poster, being he was running
on Linux and it sounded like he wanted to write the archive there, where
Archive::Tar should work just fine. However, it's also not true. I use
Archive::Tar "out of the box" all the time to write tar files with MacPerl
that I then untar on a Unix box.

That being said, there are problems with Archive::Tar under MacPerl and you
have to be careful how you use it, so I definitely wouldn't recommend it for
beginners. Besides path convention problems, time stamps aren't normalized
at all and there's no provision for doing end-of-line conversions.

|I've written patches to allow write as well as read,
|but I haven't had a chance to test them yet.

Cool. I've been meaning to poke at Archive::Tar for a while but haven't
gotten around to it, so I'm glad someone's done it.

Brian