[MacPerl] Spam (Was: w31)

Oh well, another one got through. That finally reminded me that "toner" is a
dirty word.

If any of you living in the US have a few cents to spare, I'd appreciate
complaints to the phone numbers they gave:

>BENCHMARK PRINT SUPPLY
>1091 REDSTONE LANE
>ATLANTA GA 30338
>
>CALL---->       770-399-0953   FOR TONER SUPPLIES ORDERS/PRICING ONLY
>
>CALL---->       770-399-5505   CUSTOMER SERVICE/SUPPORT ISSUES
>
>CALL---->       770-399-5614    E-MAIL REMOVAL COMPLAINTS LINE

Since the folks working the complaints line are doubtlessly going to be
stressed and overworked, I'd recommend calling the first number, staffed
probably by much better motivated and rested people.

On this occasion, I'd like to present a few statistics on spam to the MacPerl
mailing list:

In the early months of this year, the problem really got out of hand somewhat:
In April, for instance, 11 spams made it through to the list. Since then, I've
refined my majordomo watch lists considerably, with remarkable results: Since
June 1, I counted 8 spams to the list, while majordomo bounced at least 44
attempts.

I'd also like to thank all of you for keeping quiet about the remaining spams
and thus sparing the list lengthy discussions.

In case anybody is interested, I've attached the current filter words I use.
Although some of these expressions may look amazingly broad, I rarely get
false positives (PLEASE don't try triggering the filters deliberately :-, it
increases my work load), except maybe for "marketing".

In particular, as sad as this sounds to net.veterans, totally filtering
anything with an uu.net address in the headers causes practically no false
positives: UUNET seems to have moved to pretty much 100% spam. Contrary to
popular prejudices, OTOH, there are almost a dozen AOL subscribers on this
list, and neither they nor AOL itself cause any problems.

Matthias

  "Seems that 100% of the isp don't want government intervention, but 80% of
   them will not police themselves...."
               --  Michael S. Scheidell on news.admin.net-abuse.usenet

	# taboo_body           [regexp_array] (undef) <resend>
	# If any line of the body matches one of these regexps, then the
	# message will be bounced for review.
taboo_body          <<  END
/MLM/
/clickers/i
/\bbulk\b/i
/porn/i
/investor/i
/\brates\b/i
/\btoner\b/i
/\bextractor\b/i
/\bmarketing\b/i
/\bwealth\b/i
/REMOVE/
/REMOVAL/
/FREE/
END

	# taboo_headers        [regexp_array] (undef) <resend>
	# If any of the headers matches one of these regexps, then the
	# message will be bounced for review.
taboo_headers       <<  'END'
/\bad\b/i
/hosting/i