Re: [MacPerl] MacPerl files creator code

At 14:31 -0700 98/07/30, D. Beverly wrote:
>      By default, text files created by MacPerl scripts have the creator
> 'MPS ', which is MPW... this is the __default__ out-of-the-box setting...
> most likely because Matthias is an MPW addict (like me  ;)... so right
> off, barring use of MacPerl::SetFileInfo, a file created by a MacPerl
> script will __not__ open in MacPerl when 2clicked.

Oh.  That's interesting :-)  (As you can see, I haven't been exaggerating;
it's really very rare that I double-click MacPerl output files.  Actually,
I'm not in the habit of double-clicking most plain text output files; I
don't much care for SimpleText...  I usually just drag these files to the
BBEdit tile on my desktop :-)

At this point, I should point out that this new tidbit of information in
our problem spec implies that the problem is only really noticed by those
who have MPW installed && who don't care to use MPW to view MacPerl output
files (which I can understand :-).  Anyone else would get one "Can't
find... what app do you want to use" dialog from MacOS Easy Open and that
would pretty much solve the problem from there on out.

This is not to say that a preference or an environment variable is a bad
idea (please stop picking on me; I'm really not trying to tell anybody they
shouldn't be asking for this feature :-).  In fact, one could put forward
the case that it's a bad thing for this dialog to come up; a new user might
well ask "So why is it looking for MPW anyway? I created that file with
MacPerl.".

>      Why do it more than once when you don't have to?  This is clearly a
> TMTOWTDI issue...

OK.  Far be it from me to controvert TMTOWTDI!  :o)

>  And just think of all the things you could do with the time saved by
> not having to do MacPerl::SetFileInfo in all your scripts...  ;)

Except, as you'll recall, having never actually noticed the problem before
it was brought to my attention, I've already saved the time but not feeling
the need to implement the solution :-)
---
Vicki Brown, vlb@cfcl.com        |\      _,,,---,,_
Journeyman Sourceror      ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_
Scripts & Philtres             |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'
http://www.cfcl.com/~vlb      '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)
P.O. Box 1269 San Bruno, CA  94066