Re: [MacPerl] MacPerl files creator code

In Message-Id: <v04011700b1e667d52b6c@[10.48.0.42]>, Vicki Brown
<vlb@cfcl.com> writes:

> However, by my first understanding of the discussion, i.e. the context
> within which I made the statement, it is very unusual for Apps to write
> their documents with a different creator ID.  For example, everything in my
> Eudora Folder is CS0m.  (Except the log files and I don't know why not).

Actually, there are often VERY good reasons to do just this sort of
thing, which in fact Eudora's log files are a very good example of.  When
you go to examine the log file, it's more likely that you'll want to open
the file with a text editor, than to have it open in Eudora.  Better to
give it a known, common and ubiquitous creator like "ttxt" rather than
something more obscure like 'CS0m".

> But even talking output files (not scripts), forcing one creator type seems
> unflexible.  So I need to ask, if it matters to you, why not just use
> MacPerl::SetFileInfo to get exactly what you want every time?

And on this I most heartily agree.  Absolutely no reason to go
reinventing the wheel.

# Fungal Parataxonomy                   Mycology Information (Mycoinfo)
# Webmaster, Staff Writer      **The World's First Mycology E-Journal**
# <mailto:webmaster@mycoinfo.com>            <http://www.mycoinfo.com/>
# "A couple of guys trying to do something great..."