Re: [MacPerl] 68000 Macs (was Comments about new FAQ)

Vicki Brown writes:
|Also, to run MacPerl 5 on a 68K machine, you'll need to install a special
|version of the appliation.

That's not entirely true. You only need the big application or the CFM
68K application if you want to use the Mac toolbox stuff (any package
starting with Mac::). Regular old perl stuff and the MacPerl package work
fine with the regular fat application. Also, only the CFM68K version lets
you add new Toolbox modules (like the updates to QDOffScreen Matthias has
available), or XS', like the ones Chris has built. The big application
gives you the Toolbox modules, but you're stuck with the ones it comes
with.

|Yes, I realize that you can probably install various extensions into 7.5 to
|allow the CFM68K stuff to work but I didn't want to get into that at the
|time.

To run CFM68K you need three things: Code Fragment Manager 4.0 from Apple:

<ftp://ftp.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/US/Macintosh/System/CFM-68K/>

AppleScriptLib 1.2.2, and ObjectSupportLib 1.2, both of which Matthias has
included in the MacPerl distribution.

Brian