[MacPerl] Posix function question

One of the examples in Lincoln Stein's book "Official Guide to Programming
With CGI.pm" uses the Posix strftime() function. It didn't work with MacPerl.
I got what I expected with the date formats, but not the time formats. '%r' is
supposed to give the time in 12 hour format, but all it printed was "r".
Likewise for '%Y' for 24 hour time. The Posix pod says "Consult your system's
strftime() manpage for details about these and the other arguments."

Can anyone tell me what the formats are for the MacPerl version of strftime()
or point me to the equivalent of my "system's manpage"?

Thanks!

Andrew Robinson