[MacPerl] Lang.perl.* news groups

I know this isn't strictly a Mac Perl issue, but it's driving me crazy....
I recently moved to Tokyo and have my ISP here (Tokyo). I have tried to
subscribe to the various perl language discussion groups but the problem is
this - they're in Japanese. I can't get an English language version here
and I inevitably am not given access if I try to connect up to a different
news server. I do have a Unix shell account elsewhere that will allow me to
access the local news server, but only if I telnet in and as you can
immagine dealing with a volumous mailing list through a tenet connection is
more frustrating  than it is informative (the dates are ASCII sorted for
one thing). Can anyone suggest a way for me to connect up to a server (any
server) with a news reader?

     Information is liquid - it takes up the form of its container.