[MacPerl] MacPerl Evangelism, Building, Etc.

After this topic started I did some research. I started where a lot of
folks would - at the O'Reilly site. No shortage of mentions for the Mac
here: first page (fairly prominently), where it's been for quite a while,
on the "latest versions" page, where Mac is only one of three OS's to be
mentioned by name etc.

At CPAN, the Mac neither receives better or worse treatment than any
other OS, in terms of publicity. It's _there_, in the /ports directory,
and what more can you ask for?

The page describing the perl5-porters mailing list also mentions the Mac
port, and describes its status accurately. So maybe I'm missing something
here?

As far as "building out of the box", I agree with many, but I
particularly agree with what Jeff Clites had to say. Just because the
people using UNIX have to thrash around with Makes, Configures and
Installs doesn't mean that people using MacOS or Windows, or really,
practically any of the other OS's, should have to.

Seriously, I looked at the README's for some of these other ports - VMS
at 14 pages, OS/2 like systems at 27 pages, Win32 with Win C++ compilers
like Borland's, 11 pages. Caveats and Notes galore. I mean, why not just
provide the finished product for the poor stiff out there who just wants
to play with examples in LEARNING PERL?

On a final note, as soon as I saw the prerequisite for Amiga (supposedly
"built out of the box"), namely that you must have the UNIX emulator, my
first reaction was "Is that right, now?" :-)