Re:[MacPerl] We need more evangelism...

At 20.53 -0400 1998.07.19, Matthew Langford wrote:
>Perl has made a distinction for quite a while between platforms that are
>supported by the standard distribution and platforms whose support is
>handled by a third party independent of the core.  The latter are called
>"ports" and typically haven't been mentioned in the standard
>announcements (except to occasionally mention all the ports and the ports
>page).

I dunno ... most people call the Standard Perl for Win32 a port, but it
builds right from the sources.

>I'd be interested to see a Mac "make" tool, which could try valiantly to
>convert a standard Unix makefile to AppleScript commands to fire off to
>CodeWarrior or MPW as the case may be to run the appropriate tool (of
>course it would handle directory parsing, file modification dates, and
>dependencies internally).  Maybe that wouldn't be the course to take;
>maybe it should instead convert the Makefile to an MPW makefile or a
>skeleton CodeWarrior project file (and try to cleverly guess which extra
>libs to include :).  Of course the makefile can invoke on commandline
>tools which it builds--I'm not sure how you would do that in CodeWarrior.
>Or maybe that alien brain transplant is really starting to affect me, and
>I should stop thinking for a while. :)

"perl Makefile.PL" creates a Makefile.mk file that can be called by
BuildProgram under MPW.  That is what is done now.

--
Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey = ('B76E72AD', [1024, '0824090B CE73CA10  1FF77F13 8180B6B6'])