Re: [MacPerl] We need more evangelism...

>Sorry. I guess I misunderstood the meaning of the beta announcement then;
>it would never have occurred to me that Perl would have a reasonable
>>chance of building out of the box for an Amiga.  Or DOS.  Or Windows,
>or VMS. None of which are Unix.
5.005 has three fundamental aspects:
  it represents the merging of the Windows development stream
  the compiler is surfacing
  as is the somewhat controversial threads

the latter two are in the experimental phase. Next comes unicode &
multi-byte character support.

I'll let Matthias answer why it doesn't happen on the Mac.

I do know in the past it was partly because the build process wasn't
straightforward. You needed MPW, plus a different make which was closer to
unix than MPW's make. Plus Matthias didn't have the energy to make the
process easier for others. I think the situation has improved somewhat (MPW
is free but Matthias has shifted to code-warrior).

Danny

PS one difficulty with Windows, NT is there's no concept of a 'fork'. Not
that MacOS is any different.