Re: [MacPerl] We need more evangelism...

On Sat, 18 Jul 1998 11:18:31 -0800, Vicki Brown wrote:

>Did anyone notice that the Macintosh is conspicously absent from the list
>of mentioned platforms in the Perl 5.005 beta announcement?

Why should it be there? If you try to grab the standard distribution and
compile it under Mac OS, it won't work. The OS's mentioned in the
announcement are the ones where 5.005 has a reasonable chance of building
out of the box on. It's conceivable they should have mentioned Rhapsody,
but I don't remember seeing a "make OK" for Rhapsody on p5p.

Besides, "the Macintosh" (in fact, my Macintosh) *was* mentioned, but it
has to be running Linux (well, ok, *BSD will work, too).

>sigh...
>
>> From: gsar@engin.umich.edu (Gurusamy Sarathy)
>> Newsgroups: comp.lang.perl.announce,comp.lang.perl.modules
>> Subject: [CFP] On to Perl 5.005: Beta testing begins
>> Date: 17 Jul 1998 13:53:21 GMT
>>
>> The release of Perl 5.005 is imminent, and we are in the process of
testing
>> beta versions. Version 5.005 will be a major release that incorporates
all
>> maintenance and development changes since the last major release, 5.004.
>> Perl builds and runs on a bewildering number of platforms. Virtually
all
>> known and current Unix derivatives are supported, as are VMS, DOS, OS/2,
>> Windows, QNX, BeOS, and the Amiga.  There are also the beginnings
>> of support for MPE/iX.  If you find that your platform is unsupported,
>> do let us know.
>
>Vicki Brown, vlb@cfcl.com               |      _,,,---,,_
>Journeyman Sourceror             ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_
>Scripts & Philtres                    |,4-  ) )-,_. , (  `'-'
>http://www.cfcl.com/~vlb             '---''(_/--'  `-'_)
>P.O. Box 1269 San Bruno, CA  94066

-------
Paul J. Schinder