Re: [MacPerl] Net::FTP

John Gilmore-Baldwin (john@dwx.com) wrote:

>I heard some discussion earlier on this list about a general instability of
>the Net::FTP module with MacPerl.
>
>Despite this, I gave it a shot in a script I wrote.  I'm shipping
>postscript jobs down to NT 3.51 stations where our RIPs are.
>
>It's worked flawlessly for me.  Fast, reliable, etc.
>
>I'm using the latest MacPerl.  So, has the problem been fixed?  Or am I
>just perhaps lucky, or is NT 3.51 one of the platforms that it works well
>with? (I remember reading that there were problems with FTPing to Solaris.)
>
>In that vein, I'm planning to upgrade to NT 4.0.  Has anybody had any
>problem with that setup?

I am using Net::Ftp very successfully with the free warftpd server on NT4.

I find it transfers large files (1-2 MB) at a much lower bandwidth than
a real ftp program would (40KB/sec vs 200KB/sec in one instance), but
since it's built into an automated script, this performance shortcoming
doesn't bother us much.